Mezőtelegd, situated in the valley of Crișu Repede (Hu: Sebes-Körös) river, was probably established in the 11th century, and its early history can be closely related to the presence of the Szekler people. Several data suggest that the settlement might have been the seat of the Szeklers in Bihar County. It is hardly a coincidence that its name recurs as the name of the administrative unit that was created for the Szeklers who were relocated to the area of Târnava Mare (Hu: Nagy-Küküllő) and Homorod (Hu: Homoród) rivers: Telegdi szék (later: Udvarhely szék), the administrative centre of which was Odorheiu Secuiesc (Hu: Székelyudvarhely.) Following the departure of the Szeklers, but still before the Mongol invasion, a branch of the Csanád family settled here. This family, descending from the 11th century Csanád leader, was primarily a landowner in Csanád county, along the Mureș (Hu: Maros) river. They got significant estates in the Crișu Repede valley, including Telegd, by marriage. In the year 1242, Geregye Pál, the chief justice and the most powerful lord of the region, arbitrarily took over these properties. In 1256 the estates were returned by the order of King Béla IV. Over time, the Bihar estate became so much appreciated that Tamás, son of Pongrác, of the Csanád family moved his seat to Telegd. In the Middle Ages, the settlement remained the centre of the estates of this branch of the family, which built several noble residences and became patrons of the parish church. In the year 1308, Tamás’s sons divided the Telegd estates, and the documents mention several streets, the manor, its mills and customs. From the boys, Csanád had a more prominent career, starting as a singer canon of Várad, becoming Bishop of Eger and Archbishop of Esztergom between 1330–49. In 1329 he founded a Franciscan monastery in Telegd, which functioned until the middle of the 16th century. His nephew, Tamás Telegdi, also held the seat of the Archbishop in Esztergom, between 1367–1375. The parish church of the village, which was slowly transformed into a market town, was rebuilt and painted several times with their support, for the last time with the help of treasurer István Telegdi, who also carried the dignity of vice-voivode of Transylvania, together with his son Miklós. On the walls, among others, pictures of Saint Stephen, Ladislaus and Emeric can be seen. Both of them were buried in the late-Gothic church of Telegd, which is still standing today. Their gravestones are masterpieces of Renaissance tomb sculpture. Their most important medieval mansion was converted into a castle by the beginning of the 16th century, and the fortification of this survived until the end of the 17th. In the 18th century, the most important landowners of Telegd were the Csáky, Kornis, Baranyai and Haller families. The Hallers built the baroque chateau and the Roman Catholic church near the Reformed Church.